Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Art From Trash Tasmania

I have just returned from a very cold Tasmania. When I found Art from Trash on the internet I knew it was right up my alley. I had just finished my dress made out of ring pulls and I always think it is better to have them on display so that they can inspire others rather than have my pieces sit at home.
When I arrived to drop of my dress I was impressed by the size of the gallery and the standard of work. I also love that children are able to participate and exhibit. Children are so much freer in their expression. I can see the passion of the organisers in how it all turned out.




Opening night was jam packed and drink and food all seems to run out which is always a good sign of a well attended event. On the night they had a contest for the best 'trashy dresser'. In this case it was for an outfit made from recycled items and I won with my dress made from spoons, shade cloth, newspaper and mosquito net. My son also walked away with a prize for his crocodile artwork. 
Our prizes were vouchers for the local Tip Shop. The kids and I loved shopping from there. I couldnt believe how much we got for such a small amount of money. I chose many things that will contribute to making my next artwork.


Of course no trip to Tasmania is complete without a visit to Mona which we all thoroughly enjoyed. I had to laugh when I found accessories made from ring pulls for sale in the shop. They would have gone well with my dress. I hope to return to Tasmania next year with some of my sculptures.



No comments:

Post a Comment