Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Warringah Art Exhibition

Recently I was lucky enough to be selected for the annual 'Warringah Art Exhibition'. It runs from the 18th of July to the 27th of July at If U Like Art Studios in Brookvale. The owners are very generous and I wish to thank them for hosting this exhibition and in particular always encouraging young people in their art practices.
Opening night which often falls on my birthday (the 17th) was absolutely jam packed. There are some very accomplished artists in the area such as Angela van Boxtel who created a bikini made from plastic bags and Sandy Bliim who made an 'Eco Warrior' during her time as artist in residence at Kimbriki.


I am part of a local group of artists called Art and Soul Collective. There are a number of artworks from members of Art and Soul in the exhibition and one of the members Ray Clarke received an honourable mention for his piece called 'Returned Journey' which was a boat made from scrap metal.


I enjoy the pieces that inspire me and surprise me that really tackle issues of waste in a creative way. There is still time to get there and vote for your favourite pieces in each category. My piece is 'Drink Dress' and is made from shade cloth I found on the clean up and nearly 2000 ring pulls from soda cans.  Its a great time to reflect on how lucky we are to live in Warringah were the arts are encouraged and supported.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment